Tuesday, January 12, 2016

It's Legit Snowing and We're Drinking Smoothies

Who's pumped about Roni? I'M PUMPED ABOUT RONI. Her interview is tonight and her baptism is this Saturday!! We get to see her everyday this week because it's ideal to have daily contact with people the week before they get baptized. I seriously could hang out with Roni all day everyday so it's sweet to have a reason to go see her everyday haha

Let me tell you about our Saturday. It was weird. Just a big 'ol heaping bucket of weird. The weirdest of the weirds though was when we tried to contact a former investigator named Bernie. We walked up to his house and rang the doorbell (side note, lots of people's doorbells don't work in Canada). Apparently his doorbell didn't work because as we were standing there waiting for someone to answer, a guy walked out of the house and was pretty surprised to see us standing on the porch. When he noticed we were missionaries, he started running, literally running, down the steps and down the sidewalk. As he was running he said, "I don't live here! You can knock on the door and one of the girls will answer!" Ok. Weird. Whatever. We knocked and a girl answered. I asked if Bernie was home (he wasn't) and she asked if we were "J dubs" (Jehovah Witnesses). We said no, and explained who we were and she said, "Ok, so do you have a pamphlet or something for me?" I gave her our card and we set up an appointment for next week since Bernie wasn't home.

As we were walking back to our car, a guy wished us a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. He was on my side of the car across the street, so I started chatting with him. Meanwhile, a car pulled up behind us that 2 guys got out of and started talking to S Woolsey. Turns out one of them was Bernie and he asked her if we were "J dubs" then asked if he could have a hug. By the time I could get my homeboy to stop talking to go over with S Woolsey, Bernie was hugging her haha He saw me and I immediately stuck out my hand for a handshake to clearly indicate I did not want a hug. After introductions he asked if we wanted to come inside and listen to some of his poetry. I said we had an appointment next Wednesday and maybe we could then. I wish I knew how to accurately describe Bernie. Kinda crazy. Like jumped from one subject to the next on a whim, but waaaaay chill. We asked someone about him later and they said his nickname in town is "burnt-out Bernie" cause he's burnt his brain on all the drugs he's done. They said he really does write way good poetry though and he's been published several times, so I'll let you know about Bernie the poet next week.

Later that same day, we were waiting in line at a car wash and the car in front of us backed into our car!! Our newly fixed car!! Luckily there was literally no damage, but just pile on the weird for the weirdest day of my mission so far.

Two of our investigators said they were coming to church on Sunday (and Roni because she literally comes every week), but neither ended up coming. We had a ride lined up for one, but he called a couple hours before and said he wasn't coming and didn't give a reason. Our other investigator Carol had brought up at our last lesson that she wanted to come to all three hours of church. We didn't bring it up. She did. We were positive she was gonna come and had told the people teaching the lessons that investigators were going to be there. A less-active randomly came though so that was way awesome. And it's always awesome that Roni's there of course.

This week has honestly been a bit of a struggle. Appointments we set up fall through and the people we stop by don't want to let us in. The people who do let us in, don't really want to be taught/change so it makes it hard to teach them and help them change. That's probably the hardest part about being a missionary for me. I know how much this gospel will bless people's lives and they don't let it. Everybody gets to choose though. That's how it works. And like President Hinckley said, "it will all work out." And I know it will. I'm still loving being here and am seriously the happiest I've probably ever been.

We talked a lot about the Savior in church. Seriously almost the whole time. I love talking about Christ. I seriously love him so much and know that he loves me so much, that it makes everything seem better. And he's why I know it will all work out. That's the whole plan. In the end, it will all work out because of Jesus Christ.

Peace and Blessings
Sister Hepworth

P.S. There was a mix-up about who was doing what at Roni's baptism. She asked a member to speak on the Holy Ghost and another member to do what he claims she said as "the Holy Ghost part." Roni understood that she asked the first to speak at her baptism and the second to perform the priesthood ordinance of receiving the Holy Ghost. We got it all straightened out, but we asked Roni later how everybody got so mixed up. She said she asked the first member to speak and didn't understand how the second member could have been confused because she had asked him to do the "Priesthood Part 2!" Part 1 being the actual baptism haha Roni's seriously the funniest. I don't know if this story makes sense, but it was one of the greatest moments. Literally reading it back it doesn't even sound funny, but it was SO FUNNY.

We really did go get smoothies

No comments:

Post a Comment