Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Don't Tell Them About the Potatoes

​We got the pictures back
from our photoshoot
with Sister Purnell
from a couple weeks ago
:D

It literally doesn't make sense in my brain that it's already been another week. We're now in week 11 of the first 12 weeks of Sister Heredia's mission. WHAT. And now everyone in the world is in school again? Yeah that's insane. I swear y'all just got done with school. It's just weird ok?!

In other news we met a guy named Coleslaw this week. That was fun haha We were walking through a park, and this like 70-year-old man was doing tricep dips on a park bench, so we we went over and talked to him. He tried to tell us all about karma and how it works and how Christianity doesn't make sense because people have to be punished for their wrong-doings. We talked a lot about why we need a Savior, why we can't just do it on our own. He didn't seem to be soaking much of it in, but I could definitely see some gears turning in his head.

We accidentally crashed a party on Sunday. We went to go visit a girl in Gateway, but her brother's leaving on a mission in a couple weeks; they were having a big open-house-going-away-party for him. We walked up to the door and her brother that's leaving let us in and after a few seconds of awkward exchange, we realized there was a party happening and he realized we weren't there for the party. He's super nice and invited us in anyways to eat and what have you, but my heavens it was so awkward haha We ate a couple crackers, said hi to a couple people and shuffled back out the door.

Kemi's finally back in town! She's been on vacation for like a month, and she's finally back! I had been kind of throwing myself a little pity party the day we saw her cause I was a little frustrated with the way some things have been going. We went to go stop by and she didn't answer the door to just kind of add to my bummed out-ness. I was about to get in the car when she opened the door and called out to us. I WAS LITERALLY SO HAPPY. Sister Heredia already had the car turned on and was getting ready to drive away when I started running over to Kemi. I had to stop for a second to at least tell Sister Heredia what I was doing, but then I ran across the street and got a Kemi hug :D

​A member bought us frozen burritos
and a JUMBO box of rice krispy treats
from Costco :D
Our singing switched days, but it was great this week :D Tons of people were contacted and my voice was thoroughly dying by the end. Later that night, we went to help a less-active clean her apartment. Any reason to wear pants is an excellent one. She has a little kitten, that the last time we went over had a personal vendetta against my knee. I was a little worried when I was the designated vacuumer that it would only add to this kitty's reasons to attack me, but he was totally chill with it. I've never seen a cat not care so much about a vacuum.

We got to go to another lesson with Trudi this week! She's great. Seriously great. She's so excited to be baptized. There was some complication where they were going to have to maybe move the date, but the Elders told her the 10th was still gonna work and she got so excited she screamed and started dancing around and then threw her copy of The Book of Mormon in the air. She had full intentions to catch it, but was a little too excited to stay focused long enough and it dramatically fell onto the table then to the floor haha

I was telling Sister Heredia about how I used to have a set list for my bedtime songs when I was little and how I always had my mom sing me "My Heavenly Father Loves Me." I've been singing it all week now, so I'm just gonna include the lyrics cause it's still one of my favorites.

1. Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav'nly Father created for me.

2. He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev'rently
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heav'nly Father loves me.​​

​Peace and Blessings
Sister Hepworth

P.S. One of the benefits of serving in a YSA ward is we get to help at a lot of receptions. The ladies in the kitchen were very particular about how things were to be done and the husbands that were there helping thought it was pretty silly and spent a lot of time teasing everyone haha Something had gone wrong with the potatoes and they had to cut the middle part out. One of the husbands was delivering the tray full of the entree plates for the head table to us and as he handed it over he whipsered, "Don't tell them about the potatoes." Later, the roll basket needed to be refilled in the buffet line, so he told the lady who was going to refill it that she had to take them out one at a time. With tongs. Then when we were going to take out a couple salt and pepper shakers, he had us put them on a GIANT tray (it literally could have held an entire roasted pig) to go deliver them. He got lots of reprimands for his sassiness haha

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I will be serving in the same mission as Sister Hepworth in November and I was wondering if she had any tips on what brand of boots to buy?? I'm an Arizona girl so I am slightly clueless ;) Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete